Recently I acquired a Sony Xperia Z and here are my impressions of the phone.
- Industrial design of the phone is really good. I am a long time Motorola user and compared to the industrial design of Motorola, I could never get the same feel with phones made by LG or Samsung. I was forced to look at a manufacturer other than Motorola because they have pretty much walked out of the India market and there is nothing new from them. Sony's industrial design is really slick. The phone is put together very well. You don't get a plasticky feel from the phone and it feels robust.
Benchmark Sony Xperia Z
- Underlying hardware and operating system performs well. Here is the benchmark from Quadrant App. The only phone that I has seen give better number than this one is Galaxy S4.
- I was earlier using Motorola Razr XT910. With the numbers of apps that I was using, I saw that the phone was running very low on RAM, so for my type of usage, this phone helps with its 2 GB RAM.
- There is a bunch of crapware installed by Sony on the phone, most of these are meaningless and I would liked not to have them. There are apps like PlayNow, Smart Connect, Socialife, Sony LIV, Sony Music, Sony Select, Xperia Link. Xperia Privilege. Many of these apps may be useful for people who have more Sony gear at home and it is about all of these interworking together. Most of these are completely useless for me.
- The speaker on the phone is completely useless. It is on the side of the phone and barely audible. It was a complete surprise for me since I expected sony to atleast have a handle on Audio stuff. The sound quality of
Sony Xperia Z Speeds Airtel Bangalore
- The data connection itself works fine and the speeds delivered are pretty decent. I tested it with Airtel HSPA network in Bangalore and got the 6MBps upload and 1.7 MBps downloads.